The IT Trifecta: Secure, Compliant, and Well-Managed
Modern enterprises are aiming to address three interrelated objectives in their IT infrastructure:
- Identify, assess and manage security-related risks
- Achieve, sustain and demonstrate compliance with policies and regulatory requirements
- Improve the efficiency and cost-effectiveness of operations
For many years, Aberdeen Group has referred to this trifecta of strategic objectives as the quest for enterprise computing infrastructure to be secure, compliant, and well-managed.
Some of the key activities for each leg of this trifecta are summarised in Table 1 below:
Companies usually start these initiatives by investing in tools to help with forensic investigations of anomalous activities, and after-the-fact auditing and reporting on compliance and work progress. Top performers are, however, adopting a more strategic, platform-orientated approach to security monitoring and analytics, which helps to achieve better:
- Integration of data
- Visibility into a rapidly changing threat landscape and complex computing infrastructure
- Analytics to help staff prioritise the most relevant information and take action
A platform approach helps companies to make better use of the volume of data already being generated by their existing computing infrastructure, for example:
- The logs that record information on events throughout an organisation’s IT infrastructure
- The log, information, event, flow and session data already being generated by a company’s existing security solutions
- Threat intelligence from third-party sources
Insight into the Market’s Adoption of Tools vs Platforms: Aberdeen’s Computer Intelligence Technology Data Set
Aberdeen analysed a snapshot of current technology installations that are visible in its Computer Intelligence Technology Data Set (CiTDS). Based on its visibility into nearly 11 000 current installations of selected solutions in the security monitoring and analytics category, Aberdeen’s CiTDS provides some interesting insights.
Why Integration, Visibility, and Analytics Matter: It’s About Time
A significant source of business value from a platform approach is derived from reducing the time needed to identify, investigate and remediate security-related incidents. The rate of change in IT has led to network and system complexities, and most organisations struggle to keep up.
Attackers are quick to identify and exploit vulnerabilities to gain access to enterprise systems, and to begin infiltrating sensitive data – while defenders are trying to be faster to detect and respond to such attacks.
Figure 2 below provides an approximation of the distributions for the respective time it takes attackers and defenders to compromise, exfiltrate, detect, and contain.
A simple Monte Carlo model provides insights into the business impact of a data breach as a function of annual revenue and time, over ten thousand independent scenarios:
- There’s a 90% likelihood that a data breach will result in a negative business impact of more than 0.5% of the company’s annual revenue.
- There’s a 10% likelihood that a data breach will result in a negative business impact of more than 6% of the company’s annual revenue.
- The median business impact of a data breach is about 2.3% of the company’s annual revenue.
Looking forward, the most valuable IT and InfoSec staff will be those who can successfully interpret the implications of the intelligence generated from security monitoring and analytics platforms.
Aberdeen Group has been an international research partner of Nebula since 2010. With thousands of research documents, growing daily, Aberdeen’s research library helps enterprises and service providers discover the priorities and strategies of best-in-class enterprises.
Besides Nebula’s insight and research services, we also provide services to help large enterprises assess, optimise and manage their enterprise ICT environments.
Should you be interested in finding out more about Nebula’s services or discussing this research, please send us an email indicating your requirements to ContactUs@nebula.co.za.