In a recent report Aberdeen takes a closer look at the incorporation of mobile device technology as part of the Travel and Entertainment (T&E) expense management solution.
Mobile is the key ingredient to improving the expense management experience, as expense reports get closer to writing themselves. Figure 1 below shows the three key points of capturing source information for expense reporting and the adoption of technology for the Best-in-Class companies compared to others: 1) the corporate travel card, 2) the travel booking system, and 3) mobile apps for paper receipts.
Figure 2 below indicates the integration of source capture information with the T&E management system. This is the ability to convert the source captured data to a linen item on the expense report.
Where Mobile Fits into Your T&E Solution
The source capture that is now available and integrated with T&E solutions incorporates scanning technology to capture the paper receipt, digitise it, and create a line item on the expense report. With this capability and connectivity it is not hard to visualise how a report can get close to writing itself.
Benefits of Mobile Applications Connected to the T&E Solution
Having mobile apps connected to the T&E solution on the traveller’s smartphone or tablet allows connectivity from the traveller to the T&E management system to facilitate the expense report that writes itself. Figure 3 compares the key benefits of the Best-in-Class to All Others.
Integration or application availability have been uncovered as some of the deterrents to more widespread mobility. However, there can also be organisational issues when it comes to equipping field employees with proprietary apps on their devices. Supporting various platforms and devices with a BYOD program is useful to employees but adds to the complexity and infrastructure needed to support variations. Furthermore, the organisation needs to meet the required security and risk standards, as well as implementation, testing and education when the program is rolled out.
Summary and Key Takeaways
Recommendations to help companies move mobile adoption forward as part of the T&E expense management solution:
- Establish a mobile policy for BYOD vs ‘company-provided’ for proprietary applications on mobile devices.
- Establish a security policy and requirements for proprietary applications on mobile devices.
- Provide scanning technology for travellers to use on their mobile devices to capture receipts and convert them to expense line items.
- Enable mobile expense submission to the T&E expense management solution.
- Integrate the source capture for mobile devices to the T&E management system for all transactions so they can be entered as a line item on the expense report.
- Determine your travel and booking system provider, and give mobile access to their site for all travellers as employees.
- Integrate the travel booking system with the T&E management system.
- Enable the mobile travel booking application with the T&E management system.
- Enable alerts and exceptions as part of the mobile application integration with the T&E management system.
Aberdeen Group has been an international research partner of Nebula since 2010. With thousands of research documents, growing daily, Aberdeen’s research library helps enterprises and service providers discover the priorities and strategies of best-in-class enterprises.
Besides Nebula’s insight and research services, we also provide services to help large enterprises assess, optimise and manage their enterprise ICT environments.
Should you be interested in finding out more about Nebula’s services or discussing this research, please send us an email indicating your requirements to ContactUs@nebula.co.za.