In a recent report Aberdeen compares the annual cost of traditional security implementations with that of managed security service providers and shows that the annual cost advantage for managed security services can be as high as 50% per year.
Managed Security Services: When it’s Time to Stop Going “IT” Alone
Business Context: Security is important, But is it Strategic?
Any organisation would agree that the following security-related activities are important:
• Ensuring that IT infrastructure, intellectual property and sensitive data are well-protected
• Keeping up with the latest security threats and vulnerabilities
• Monitoring, detecting, investigating and responding to security incidents and events in a timely manner
• Keeping installed security solutions up-to-date
• Satisfying compliance requirements – and auditors – in a cost-effective manner
The more important question is: are these activities strategic? Or put another way: is the management of these security activities the best use of your staff’s time and expertise?
A Classic Build vs. Buy Decision
The question therefore boils down to a ‘build versus buy’ that is:
• The traditional, do it yourself integration of on-premise security solutions by the organisation’s in-house resources, versus
• Leveraging the scale and expertise of a managed security service provider (MSSP)
Figure 1 shows the overwhelming volume of data and data sources that organisations can and should be leveraging.
• Logs record information about events that take place throughout the organisation’s IT infrastructure.
• Logs, information, events, flow data, and session data are also generated by the organisation’s existing security solutions
• Gathered data can be enriched with contextual information
• Advanced analytics can be used to generate insight
• The most mature organisations also use shared intelligence, which is integrated across multiple organisations
Aberdeen’s Research Findings: Market Trends Show High Growth in Managed Security Services
Respondents to Aberdeen’s surveys indicate very strong growth in managed security services – in fact, the majority of new deployments are choosing managed security services over in-house implementations, as summarised in table 1.
By comparing the annual cost of traditional, on-premise implementations with that of managed security services implementations, the annual advantage for managed security services is found to be as high as 50%.
In security monitoring, MSSP was the clear winner over in-house deployments.
Aberdeen Group has been an international research partner of Nebula since 2010. With thousands of research documents, growing daily, Aberdeen’s research library helps enterprises and service providers discover the priorities and strategies of best-in-class enterprises.
Should you be interested in discussing this research or access to their broader research offerings, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Besides Nebula’s insight and research services, we also provide services to help large enterprises assess, optimise and manage their enterprise ICT environments. We also invite you to contact us at email@example.com if you are interested in finding out more about our services.